Monday, April 27, 2009


This is the ring doily from DMC Book of Charted Tatting Designs. I started it as a gift for Administrative Professionals Day but didn't have time to finish it so I gave something else. I'll gift it somewhere else - maybe one of the PIF's I've got going on Facebook. I'm actually further than this since I had a doctor appointment this morning and tatted in the waiting room. I only have a little bit to go now. Good news is that the doctor released me from his care. The break is not completely filled in but it's good and he doesn't need to see me any more. Now I just need to build up the muscle and strength in both legs.


I'm teaching a beginning class in a few weeks and I've been looking for easy motifs. It's only 2 hours and my experience is that people barely get the hang of the stitch in that time frame, let alone finish something so I'm finding the smallest and easiest motifs I can. Of course there is the basic 4 ring butterfly which is probably what I'll go with for rings but we'll be doing chains too and that's where I need to find something super simple. There are tons of patterns that will work. I just need to settle on SOMETHING, make up my samples and go from there.

In the meantime, I thought these sweet doves by JoAnn Stearns will work nicely on some of the puzzle pieces so I've left the thread ends long in case I want to sew them on a piece later. The blue one is in size 10 thread and the white one is probably size 80 thread. Big difference, huh?

5 comments:

  1. I've found that the simple flower motif I used for my instuctable seems to get finished quickly by beginning needle tatters

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love looking at pieces tatted in different thread sizes. I'm always amazed at the size difference!

    I'll have to look up that ring doily. It's really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina,
    Your doily looks great! Very nice work. I am glad you are released form the doc's care.. now onto to more healing for you and a speedy recovery too! Take care,
    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your doily is beautiful! I hope you share it again when it is finished. The doves look like a good motif! I'm with you on the part about students barely getting the hang of the doublestitch when learning to tat in a 1-2 hour class. I think you're wise to just do that tiny motif.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks TotusMel - this is a shuttle tatting class but a needle tatting class is a potential too.

    ReplyDelete

Emails and comments both are welcome and always read.