Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Many years ago, when Maus hosted various tatting round robins, one that I participated in was a Christmas Round Robin. I tatted this rocking horse for one of the participants and always thought I'd make one for myself. Well, yesterday was that day!

The pattern is from Pam Palmer's Tatting Treats Two. I see Deb Arnold is selling it for $15.00 and I'm sure many of the tatting vendors also still carry it. Don't be swayed by the Amazon used copies for $38.88. I'm finding any book out of print that deals with lace is being sold for atrocious prices so make sure you shop around. I'm pretty sure Zig-Zag Corner's Tatting Corner also carries it for the normal price.

One thing I didn't catch when I tatted this horse the first time is that Pam has you add a 2nd ball thread for the rockers. I'm sure I didn't the first time and so I didn't this time. It would make it more stable, nice if you are using it for an ornament, but I'll probably stitch it to something instead. I also tatted the reins this time which I'm sure I didn't do the last time. I used the handle of a steel crochet hook as a picot gauge to make the mane picots equal size.

This book also has a Christmas Cracker, a Christmas Tree, a Candy Cane, and a Christmas Teapot. There is also a teddy bear, a frog on a lily pad, and a crinoline girl. I've continued to use the book all these years so I think it's well worth the original price.

13 comments:

  1. What a delightful post and photo! I have ALWAYS admired this pattern! And I love your colors here! I don't have the pattern yet, but appreciate the info on obtaining it and also the tips as to the rockers and the picot lengths!

    So - you just whipped this up yesterday! Amazing! I'm still addressing Christmas cards and wrapping gifts - no time to tat, unfortunately! I'm glad you had a great time at your family celebration!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Pam's books. I met her two years ago and she's got enough to put another book together she says but hasn't got roundoit yet!!! Lovely, lovely lady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. bardzo ładny i pomysłowo wykonany ten konik na biegunach, pozdrawiam i zapraszam do odwiedzenia mojego bloga

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! I was sure I had that book, but I can't find it. I guess I have an excuse to place an order! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Pam's Patterns and this is such a lovely rocking horse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have made this for rocking horse for family members when they were expecting their new family additions. I don't have the book any more as I must have let someone borrow it and they never returned it. Still love the pattern. It's something special for a baby's room. Love the colors you used, Gina.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's wonderful! I can picture it on the Christmas tree. Or maybe on a tatted carousel?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful rocking horse! I'm going to have to order that book now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your rocking horse looks awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That made my jaw drop! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have just recently come across your blog and am enjoying seeing your tatting projects. I can tat but haven't in many years. Love this rocking horse.

    ReplyDelete

Emails and comments both are welcome and always read.