Sunday, December 04, 2005

More fun with design

Betsy Evans has a lovely snowflake pattern on Gale Marshall's website.



I couldn't help but think how nice it would look as an ornament cover with a few beads added at the drop down point. It fits very nice over a small 1" glass ball ornament. Unfortunately, Betsy's email wasn't on the website so I can't send my adaptation to her until I track it down. I made a second version for a gift exchange so I won't show it here just yet, but in that one I used size 40 thread and added a few chain stitches between each ring in the center because it's a bit tight going over the ornament center. I couldn't use the split ring when I did that, so if I make another one, I may just leave a length of thread to help open the center up. You can't really see it in the photo, but at the point of the flake, I used a grouping of 3 beads besides one at each picot on the side. I thought it would help weight the points down. The first one I wet and formed it around the ball, letting it dry on the ornament. On the second one, I blocked it on the styrofoam board. I don't use a stiffener. I thought it was dry when I removed it but it was just a teensy bit damp - which may have helped form it to the ball again. Blocking it first though, I was able to shape it better.

Do you see how the drop down point kinda looks like an angel? It really wouldn't take too much to make those side rings look like angel wings....some graduated picots maybe?

The one you see here was tatted in size 20 thread. The one I tatted in size 40 thread came out smaller, not hanging down as far - more about halfway.

I have 2 more shuttles I'm painting, but I'm not quite sure how I will finish them. For now...I'm sewing gift bags.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Emails and comments both are welcome and always read.