Monday, July 11, 2011

I finished this up Sunday evening. I had pinned the rosettes so they overlapped a bit but when it came to sewing them down, it just didn't seem to be working so they are spread out more than I wanted. If I'd known I was going to end up doing this, I probably would have made the picots shorter. I did use a picot gauge but you can see they are consistently longer on one side of the split ring than the other.

The beads are metallic beads and the magenta are closer in color to the thread than the green is. The green looks fine in person but they tend to look gray in the photos. I added three beads in the center of each rosette as I stitched it to the headband.

Here it is on a mannequin - much easier to photograph than when it is on me! Headbands are one thing I CAN wear with my fine hair and it doesn't fall off.

A fun tat, but time to move on to the other projects!

11 comments:

  1. Your headband is adorable! I have never been able to wear that style of headband. I guess my head is too big. : ) My mom used to make headbands to match the clothes she made me... cloth across the top with elastic to go under the hairline in the back. I bet it would have been easy to attach tatting to those headbands... too bad Mom didn't tat! Did you make your headband to go with a specific outfit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea and the execution is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! The colors really do pop, Gina.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its beautiful. I think those long picots is required here to fill up the headband. With this, it covers the whole band.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous! If you had an Etsy shop this would be gone already! The colors are great together and the beads are perfect. The 3-D flowers could easily be a necklace grouping (or individual pendants) or a 'crazy quilt' embellishment, or simply framed as a work of art! Many, many possibilities here. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea, and very nicely executed! I love the colors, too!

    I alway have to make an effort to make my picots larger on the second half of a split ring. Then they end up the same size. I have no idea why this is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a fun and fantastic looking headband!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The headband looks beautiful and the colors used go very well together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love it! I would so wear that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous1:14 PM

    i have a question and it might sound odd ... but how do you attach your tatting? i've been working on an edging for my god daughter's dress and i can't think of how to attach it. i was thinking sewing it down by hand but i'm not sure that would be the best choice ... i'd greatly appreciate any pointers you could give :)thank you

    ~Mic

    ReplyDelete

Emails and comments both are welcome and always read.