Wednesday, February 06, 2008

#10 & #11 for 25 motif challenge


I actually tatted #10 after #11 because I wanted a little time to figure out how to make those bridges from one round to another. The only thing I did differently was to make a mock picot at the end of the center ring instead of a cut & tie. The instructions leave out a segment of 7 ds, p in the outer round and do not mention joining at the sides at all. So if one were to follow the instructions only, they would get an outer round of chain arches with 2 picots. For #11, the instructions were good. I climbed out of the center with a split chain and I also used 2 shuttles so my "points" on the outer round are more arched than pointy. If you do the shoelace trick for the rings off of the chains, the chain segment is more angled than rounded. She uses 7 rings for the center of this one and several other motifs. I thought that was a little odd as most motifs are made up of even numbers - either 4, 6 or 8 rings - maybe up to 12 for a larger wheel.

Patsy Goodman recently suggested making sure you measure all 4 sides of a hanky you are considering embellishing with tatting to make sure they are the same length - especially if you are tatting corners into the edging. I suspect that might be especially true if you've prewashed a new one. Fabric can be pulled out of shape just like tatting, so "blocking" by pressing it or pinning it within lines might be a good idea.

Piecework is currently hosting their Pincushion contest with a prize of $500 cash! You can get the rules and entry form here. Deadline is March 1. While you are at the first link in this paragraph, check out contest winners from the past!

Last night I bought a pendant on Etsy - made of polymer clay with flowers on it in a way I haven't see before. I can't wait to get it.

1 comment:

  1. Very pretty! I've been reading through the patterns in the book, and I think I'm starting to see where the pattern mistakes are! I guess what they say is true... reading is fundamental!

    ReplyDelete

Emails and comments both are welcome and always read.