Tuesday, February 05, 2008

#8 & #9 for 25 Motif Challenge


I don't want to complain too much about this book and yet, I do feel like I should point out the errors for those who want to make the motifs themselves. I don't have my copy with me so I can't be too detailed but I know some picots were missing in #8. It did give measurements for the long picots that are joined on the long sides but never any explanation about joining. Fortunately, there are photo examples of each motif.

For #9, I tatted a split chain and a split ring to climb out of the center. The rest went quickly and it blocked out beautifully.

Here is the edging to go with the medallion from the last entry. Although I have 2 shuttles used in the instructions, I tatted this with a ball and shuttle and did the shoelace trick for the small rings that are thrown off the chain. This is size 20 Aida thread and I had the shuttle full, tatting it empty. There are no directions for a corner but you can lay a mirror against the area you want to make a corner and figure out how to adapt the pattern. I'd love to do this in a smaller thread now.

2 shuttles, CTM (continuous thread method of winding)
R ring Ch chain - picot
clr close ring
rw reverse work
+ join

[R 5-3-3-5, clr, rw
Ch 5 ds
Small R w/ch shuttle 5-5, clr
Ch 5, rw
R 5+ to last p on 1st r, 3-3-5, clr, rw
Ch 8, rw
R (clover) 5+ to last p of prev r, 3-3-3-3-5, clr (4 p showing)
R 5+ to last p of prev r, 3-3-3-3-3-3-5, clr (6 p showing)
R 5+ to last p of prev r, 3-3-3-3-5, clr, rw (4 p showing
Ch 8, rw
R 5+ to last p on prev r, 3-3-5, clr, rw
Ch 5
Small R w/ch shuttle 5+ to prev small ring, 5, clr
Ch 5, rw
R 5+ to last p on prev r, 3-3-5, clr, rw
Ch 6-6, rw]

Repeat [] for desired length except join 1st picot of 1st r to last p of last r prior to ch 6-6

2 comments:

  1. Very pretty! I love the thread you used for #8!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Well that is the horrid thread I complained about in the TIAS! It's Valdani perle cotton #12 but Valdani makes good thread...this one is just too loose of a twist for tatting. Beautiful color though, isn't it?
    :-) Gina

    ReplyDelete

Emails and comments both are welcome and always read.