Friday, February 20, 2004

I got another ebay win today, a January 1917 issue of Needlecraft. And of course, my dirty little mind immediately found something .......questionable. There it was, on page 14, with the heading "Needlecraft's Valentine Gift-box". No. 1061 D. "A Case for Rubbers will Interest Everyone."



ROTFL! Those up and coming Flapper Girls knew how to have fun! I'm going to make one of these for each of the single girls at work...........................kidding! Honestly, I don't know what this is. I know jar rubbers for canning jars were called rubbers but this doesn't look like that kind of container. LOL! I'm getting way too much mileage out of this. My grandmother was born in 1903 or 1904, not sure which now. I have a feeling if she were alive and I were to ask her about these - she would be mortified by my mirth.
But I would never have been that insensitive to her feelings. She was my favorite.

............clearing throat.....................ahem............there were some other tatted goodies in this issue also. The pincushion was on the same page - hen and chicks edging! I thought this other edging intriguing, of tatting and picot braid. The directions start off with "commence by joining to a picot of the braid" which suggests that the braid is purchased or such a common item in the sewing box that everyone had it. I've not seen it mentioned before, so I doubt that it was common.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Emails and comments both are welcome and always read.