Saturday, October 01, 2005

Time to quit. I can't count.


I've been trying to come up with a VERY simple rings only design for small glass ball ornaments since I heard Bette's exasperated voice on my answering machine this evening. We already have one very simple one, but she was having trouble with it flip-flopping around on her hand. Plus I had new beads to try out.



I finished this one up earlier but the size 50 thread was too small for this, even though it is only a 1" ball, which made the rings a tad too small to go over the top of the ball without forcing it. I also didn't like the clear beads.

So I got out my metallic thread that I don't like to tat with but it seemed a good match for the gold beads and I gotta use that thread up somehow! I meant to leave 10 beads between elements and I started off doing just that but when I got to the second point, I forgot and put 12 beads for each length - though I did notice as soon as I tatted the top ring that my second length was longer.....Okay....I'll just alternate them, 10 beads, 12 beads, 10 beads, 12 beads.....

I count 10 beads for the next element, and another 3 for the ring. I slide the beads and snug them up, tat the ring, and suddenly realize the 3rd element is way longer than it should be. No wonder - it has FIFTEEN beads. I refuse to retrotat because the metallic will break. I either get creative or dump it. In the meantime, I'm quitting for the night. I think what I can do is start going back the other direction - 12 beads, then 10 beads, then repeat the pattern. That will bring it down to a wide point on either side. I'm not sure I have enough beads strung now though. I already started over once. Hmmmm.....this way, I need 266 beads. I only had 200 on there and already cut off about 25 from my prior mistake. If I have enough thread, I can simply take it off the shuttle and thread the additional beads from the other end.

I spent most of my morning googling websites in Brisbane having to do with needlecraft supplies. I had an offer back on one of my inquiries for accommodations so as soon as they respond with directions about booking - I'll have the last piece in place. Almost. LOL! I got the ETA yesterday. I also want to check out international calling on my cell phone. I know it can be done - I just have to make the arrangements....and I want to see if I can do it temporarily rather than be committed to it for a whole year.

This afternoon I mowed, probably for the last time, and then I went to town. Stopped in at Big Lots and immediately spied the small glass balls Bette and I were looking for yesterday. We ended up with bigger ones which didn't match the ornament covers we were planning to make, so I picked up the smaller ones. And some Xmas tablecloths and towels and gift tags and a little tree to hang the ornaments on and another thing or two or three. Then I tanned, got groceries and gas and came home.

Tomorrow I will do laundry, write out my bills, and go into the office to do something with the display window. I'll try to finish up this current ornament cover too. And take my son his mail.

...sigh.....good night....

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Emails and comments both are welcome and always read.