Wednesday, December 26, 2007

This one is for my oldest son. I have 3 sons and one daughter. 4 grandsons and 1 granddaughter. 1 great-grandson. So what do you tat for males? Bookmarks. When they get married, you can tat for their homes and their wives but what do you tat for a son? Exactly how many bookmarks are too many - especially if they tend to be more computer-oriented than book-oriented? These ornaments are a good way to pass on a bit of my tatting to them. The two youngest sons will also get booties and bonnets for their future children. I didn't know how to tat when my current grandchildren were born, except for the great-grandson. I made the see-through rulers with tatting for some of the grandsons several years ago. I've made them bookmarks which they seem to lose. I guess my best bet is to make plenty of linens and pretties for my daughter and daughters-in-law to pass on down. But I do other needlecrafts too and they do have a lot of that stuff. Afghans and sweaters and such. But I really want them each to have some tatting because that's the one skill I am most proud of and that has been my greatest passion and pleasure. And the quilts.

I can't remember what I got up for but I took my tree down and changed out the cat's litter box. LOL! It's beautiful outside! Sunny and 48º. Here's the project I started last night. It's a little beaded knitted amulet bag. I bought the kit on clearance a few years ago. The clearance tag says $4.71 but I'm sure I got it 50% off that. Originally it was $14.99. I think I have a second kit somewhere but I'm not sure. Anyway, I thought it was time to do something with it. I may keep it, but if not, it will make a delightful gift for someone. One of my goals this year is to make up all those "kits" I've bought on clearance in recent years as my "gift inventory". That's why I bought them to begin with... and how can I justify buying any more if I don't use what I have? I won't even go out to see what there is until I make some headway. I did pretty good last year. I waited nearly two weeks...and I still found some bargains.

I've never knitted with beads before so this will be a fun challenge. Can't say I've really knitted with thread either other than some playing around with it just to see what it felt like. I've wanted to and still want to knit some lace so this will be good to get used to the feel of 0000 needles and thread...and beads. I can't imagine it's going to use all the beads provided.

I also have to write up my project for Hector. Maybe I'll test it on the Greenfield group.

So...now I have to clean up my mess from taking down the tree. Artificial trees shed needles too, especially as they age and this one has lived its life fully! Even though I should take advantage of post-season tree sales, I probably won't. I don't know what I want yet. Maybe nothing at all if I can find that wall tree. Hope I didn't give it away...I have a feeling I did. Maybe I'll look for one of those instead.

2 comments:

  1. Your picture frame ornaments have inspired me! I bought some on clearance yesterday. Unfortunately, I haven't seen the wonderful variety that you've posted... mine are all one design. I agree... it is hard to tat for the males in our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought this exact same knit on clearance - same colors and all. I've never made it so I am really looking forward to seeing your finished bag! I'll also be happy to hear any comments from you on transferring the beads. Good Luck! I know you'll do a great job. I love seeing all your tatting.

    ReplyDelete

Emails and comments both are welcome and always read.