Monday, February 11, 2008

#12-#16 of 25 Motif Challenge

It's a good thing I'm doing this as a challenge because I'm bored already and would probably stop at this point if I hadn't committed myself. Some motifs are very similar, such as #11 and #12. I think the only difference between the two is that #12 doesn't have as many picots on the chain segments of the inner round. I used a split chain to climb out to the outer round. The author likes to use those little rings of 2-2-2-2 a lot. I'm not too fond of them myself. After the first chain, she says to "tighten rings" but I'm sure she meant to snug up the chain. In #13, as with many of the motifs, no mention is made of where to join more than once. For instance, there is no mention of which picots to join to when tatting the outer round. If you didn't have the photo to refer to, you wouldn't know.

In #14, nothing is said at all about joining the center rings but it was clear in the photo that they were joined at the side picots. Maybe it was just assumed that you knew where to join, but I would not assume that a beginner would know that. However, there are 7 edgings at the beginning of this book and she does instruct where to join in those - so maybe it was a valid assumption from her point of view. I believe I made the last chain on the inner round of #14 a split chain (only 2 stitches) and then the final ring was a split ring to climb out to the next round. On #15, this one also had a split chain at the end of the round and before the last ring. It was tricky because it faced inward and I had to do some manipulations to keep the chain correctly positioned. You can tell it does not want to lay as smoothly as the others. #16 used measured picots. This was the last one I tatted last night and it looks like I might have blocked it a little better. I reshaped it with my fingers after I had already scanned it and it looks more even now.

I got the pendant I ordered from Irish Molly! I wanted to see the technique up closer. I really wanted the Victorian Pendant too but decided to hold off on that one until later.

In 2 days I celebrate my 5-Year-Anniversary for this blog. I wanted to do something special but it's creeped up on me faster than I expected....so we'll see if I can come up with something or not.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Emails and comments both are welcome and always read.