Saturday, September 19, 2009

I finally installed my new printer/scanner that I've had for a good month! I was waiting until my son moved to the basement because I knew I'd have to move some things around so that I could take the old printer and scanner down. I didn't get to move as much as I wanted but I got a lot done today. Having just one unit on my desk instead of two is great and the printer is so much better. I don't know about the scanner yet. I've been playing with it a little but I need to take some time to figure out the settings and what I can change.

My old one automatically set up a new folder every month. This one doesn't so I have to move it to where I want it. It automatically sizes and crops everything too and I don't really want that. You'll see in the last scan why I don't. I finally hid all the ends on these little motifs, except for the smallest which I left the tails tied and will attach the ornament hook there. They are blocking now so should look really good by the time they get on a tree!

I've test tatted a few more patterns from the design class. This one is by Karin. I don't have a blog link yet but when I get it, I'll revise this post.

This one is by Nita and is a square only about 1 1/2" either way while the other motifs are closer to 2 1/2" square. The scanner made it this big and cropped it very close to the edges. I like to leave a little room to play with. I can always crop it down and often do, but I can also use my photo editing program and frame it or use a decorative touch of some kind as long as there is some room outside of the motif. I'll eventually figure it out. I'm sure there are a bunch of options I have yet to explore!

I've been so busy that I haven't been commenting on the blogs much. I've looked at them but often have to leave to do something before I can say anything. Doesn't mean I'm not paying attention though! Well...there have been a few days when I didn't even get to read much so I might have missed a little. That just means I'll find a pleasant surprise later on.


  1. Your test tatting looks great, Gina.

  2. I've had my new printer/scanner since June... didn't get it set up until August... still learning how to use it... so, I know right where you are!

    The motifs are beautiful! I wish I'd had the time to stick with the design class. Who knew the past six months could become so busy!

  3. Miranda1:15 PM

    Hey, I'm planning to get one of those this week, too. It will (hopefully) be so much better than taking photos of all my tatting.

    I'm sure there's some default setting you can change to make it not auto-edit stuff for you. Really, who do they think would want that, anyway? Try looking under Tools, then Options. I'm completely making that up, but that's often where I find stuff like that.

    Those little motifs bunched together like that look like a bouquet. Maybe (in all your spare time, you know) make a bunch of them in different colors, mount them on fabric in a random way like they are here, and either frame it or make a pillow. Of course the white ones will also look gorgeous scattered over your tree.

  4. Great work. Keep it up.

  5. Those motifs are really pretty. I like the colors you used, too!

    ~TattingChic ♥

  6. I had the same problem when I got a new scanner. It was cropping even worse than yours. It turned out all I had to do was switch from "full auto" to "professional" mode in a little drop down box on the top of the screen.

  7. Martha & All - I found that window today and scanned something that didn't get cropped. Still haven't figured out how to get it in the folder I want automatically but this is a different brand from what I had before. I had HP before and this one is a Canon.

  8. Pretty, pretty things, Gina! And you know which motif caught my eye first......heehee!

    You and Gail were missed at TatDays. It was much, much fun, but would have been moreso had you been there. I would have even sung a chorus or two of, "Yellow Submarine".


Emails and comments both are welcome and always read.