Monday, October 12, 2009

Ravelry Freebies of Note

I've been too busy to actually work on my own projects very much but I have been able to surf now and then. If you don't already belong to Ravelry.com, you should check it out. Membership is free. It's for knitters and crocheters but you never know....maybe tatters will be added in the future. At any rate, it's a good way to keep up on trends, as well as get input on thread and yarns. There are free patterns and patterns for purchase.

I love looking in the galleries and seeing what everyone is making, how they've altered it from the original and what they've done to make it work for them. It's also a great way for you to track your own projects. I really would love to see a tatting section. We have so much fun visiting each other's tatting blogs and learning how different threads and techniques work differently in the same pattern. This would be a more precise way to track those projects.

In the meantime, here are some cute projects (and free) that I thought you might enjoy.




*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*




*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


And there is a pattern for a piggy mask here! (aka swine-flu-mask) Personally, I'm so tired of the jokes about this one that I chose not to picture it here.

I'm anxious to try out the apple cozy myself. There is no real reason for an apple to have a sweater but it just looks so darned cute!

I fell at work last Friday coming back from an appointment in the rain. All is well but I'm still stiff and sore and try not to do too much that involves a lot of physical movement. I did go to the Feast of the Hunter's Moon and fulfilled my time to demo, but I only walked around with another friend enough to get the food we really wanted and then I took the bus back to my car. Later that night I met up with some high school friends for dinner so I was worn out by the time I got home and iced up my ankle as soon as I got in the door. By Sunday morning it had improved and even by last night, it had gotten considerably better over where it was in the morning.

I could sit only so long at the computer before it got uncomfortable so I didn't get to work on my Design-Tat class project or write in my blog. I did continue going through several stacks of craft magazines. I'm so proud of myself for culling them out! There are some that have maybe ONE tatting pattern in them so I will scan the pattern and then offer those for giveaways in the near future. I also have tons of knit and crochet publications. I'll try to sell them first on ebay and if they don't sell, I'll take them to the half-price book store or maybe into my lace group for them to pick through first.

So...pretty soon I'll be tatting again!

6 comments:

  1. Gina, there is a tatting group on Ravelry, run by Noreen Crone-Finlay. It's called tatta-tat-tatting.
    Those beer bottle jumpers are great, thanks for showing them - perfect Christmas stocking stuffers for all my "boys".
    Ravelry is so enormous that I find it overwhelming - I just browse around when I want a pattern, to see what's there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gina,
    I'm a member of Ravelry! Just so ya know there are some tatting/lace groups on there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! I have barely made a dent in looking at patterns and projects myself. I tried to read part of a newsletter today & couldn't even get that done! Does the group post projects like the knitters & crocheters do? That's what I'd be interested in, not really the group itself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gina
    It is weird... you can post your tatting pictures, but you have to put them in either the category of knit or crochet. So, it is hard to find them unless they are shared with your group. Many do share, I myself have. But you can't actually type in 'tatting' and see it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoops.. yes you can see the tatting. Duh! Go to the advanced search and type in the projects section. tatting.. 9 pages. Under tatted, there are only 3 pages.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol - I tried tatting and got 22 pages, but many of them were knitting or crochet and also cro-tat. But plenty of tatting too! In fact, I got a great idea from one of them...if only I had time to pursue it! I don't remember what category I searched under though.

    ReplyDelete

Emails and comments both are welcome and always read.