Saturday, October 08, 2005

Along the theme of using motifs as Christmas ornaments, I decided to tat this triangular motif from Tatting Patterns and Designs, Gun Blomqvist and Elwy Persson. I hoped to get it done before our lace meeting this morning but once I got into it, I realized there was a length of thread that I wasn't sure how to deal with. I always have trouble reading the instructions in this book but it looked simple enough at first and I loaded beads for the inner and outer picots. Right off the bat I put too many beads on the first ring and by the time I got to the funky length of thread, I decided to give it up on the bead trim and just tat the piece as a sample in progress. I do love the effect of scrollwork. About the only way to camouflage the bits of bare thread is to use beads. When I look really close (nose up to page) I can see where she twisted the thread, but that's not what it says to do. This is the 3rd motif on page 49 if you have the book. For one thing, I would close that gap in the clover by joining to the base of the first ring before taking a length of thread back to the original starting point. You could also chain up to the clover and then back down but that might be a bit clunky For ornaments however, the addition of beads would be perfect in that space.

The second ornament is the D12 snowflake on page 60 of Tatting Collage by Lindsay Rogers. I did have that one completed. I just wanted to show that any small motif with an opening in the center is a potential ornament cover.


Post a Comment

Emails and comments both are welcome and always read.