Tuesday, October 19, 2010

There I was, blog-browsing, and decided to check out the tutorials on Jezze's blog. Somehow I missed it before but a few other tatters left comments, so I thought I'd point it out here. Jezze tried to teach herself to tat from books. She finally figured it out from some videos which prompted her to improve on the usual drawings. It might help you visualize the movement of the thread and shuttle better so check it out!

I did it! Here are the celtic leaves from Ruth Perry's book, Celtic Tatted Leaves and Flowers. These are Morning Glory leaves and probably the simplest ones in the book. I had the stitch count memorized by the third one and could easily manipulate the chain into the looped centers by the fourth one. I made so many because they were so quick and easy! There are a few other leaves in this book that I will try. No Morning Glories though and now that I think about it, I'm not sure I've ever seen a tatted Morning Glory OR a tatted Petunia, which is similar in shape. But...I'm not tatting flowers right now.

These are oak leaves from my yard, a tiny sapling that I actually need to pull out. I like the big leaves with the "fingers". There are all kinds of Oak leaf shapes but I'm partial to the round lobed ones, which are more defined than these are.

Look what I got in the mail! I bought this pack from Gypsy Feather's Etsy shop. The fabric underneath just happens to be some I bought last night when I got the fabric for my grandson's Halloween tunic. (he's going to be Link from The Legend of Zelda) When I found out the fabric on a certain table was 50% off the already discounted label, I ran back and grabbed it just to get a yard. Turns out it was changed in price again and I got it for only $1.00!!!!! It goes very well with the the green lining fabric I got for the tunic. I think I got too much of the green so this will give me something to pair it with for other projects later. Sounds like a good excuse to me.

Yes, that is tatted hen & chicks. I haven't unrolled it to see how much. Some silk ribbon. Beads. A lace circlet flower with sequins in the center. A jeweled button cover. A glass dangly which is really what caught my eye, besides the color collection, some tatting thread and a length of crocheted lace which I will probably put in the dye pot. It was a fun selection.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! Getting the celtic leaves done!! I have all of Ruth`s books and have taken one of her classes but still the knot thing still gets me down!! I`ll just have to try harder or maybe that is my problem!?!

    ReplyDelete

Emails and comments both are welcome and always read.