Saturday, October 16, 2010

Three Kings

I tatted two more kings last night and the star. They are in three different sizes of thread, because I was thinking about perspective. The further away an object is in a scene, the smaller it is. The closer the object, the larger it is so I was sort of trying for the illusion of distance by changing the size of the king. (The pattern is in Rosemarie Peel's Yuletide Tatting, published 1992, if you missed earlier posts)
The closest King is in Lizbeth size 20. I think it's Caribbean. The yellow one is Cebelia size 30 and the furthest away is Krystle's Midsummer Night's Dream which I think is size 40. Yep, I checked my Etsy history. LOL!

So then I wondered about the background again, particularly if one were to put these on a card so I scanned in deep red and then a more neutral peachy ivory card.

Then I did deep forest green and the order of the motifs is changed a bit too.

I don't make cards myself but I sometimes add a touch of tatting to them. I probably won't do anything with this but I wondered if cardmakers or scrapbook makers would find them useful? I'll have to get input from my sister but I'm happy to hear from anyone else since she tends to be biased and loves everything I make in hopes I'll give it to her. LOL! and I have to put "LOL" because you can't see me smiling or know my body language. You might think I'm being sarcastic or dinging her in some way otherwise.

They are very quick to tat. I didn't time them but it's probably only 15-20 minutes for me. I think it was only 1 1/2 yard on each shuttle and then I had some left over on one and not so much on the other. That's real clear, isn't it? Kinda like grandma's cooking - a pinch of this, a handful of that. Her hands were long and slender, not short and stubby like mine.

The portable heater has kept the house surprisingly cozy. I close off the rooms that aren't being used, but I do find if I have more than 2 heaters running on the same line, we pop a circuit. My son has one in the basement so that and one upstairs appear to be the limit. My electric bill is going to jump probably. A new furnace is in my plans but not til next year. I wanted to get central air at the same time. So hopefully this repair ( new inducer motor to arrive Monday) will get me through the winter.

It's so beautiful out! I think I need to be tatting leaves. OHHHHHHH.....leaves in ecru to dye in beautiful fall colors! Ooooohhhhhh...stop me...til I eat some breakfast and empty the dishwasher and start some laundry!!!!!! STOP ME!!!! STOP ME!!! It's almost too late............

5 comments:

  1. Stop you? I'm going to refer you to Karey Solomon's book Tatting Turns Over a New Leaf! And LadyShuttleMaker's Diablo and Treebeard and Autumn Medley colorways... HA HA HA, made you do it!

    Tatting keeps your hands warm.

    I would put the kings on a midnight blue background, since the story goes that the scene took place at night. Black would be a bit much, but deep, deep blue, yeah. I like the way you've aligned the colors so that their robes don't look completely random (whether it was intentional or not, I'm sure I couldn't have done that on purpose).

    Now you've got me thinking about putting a nativity scene on a card for my parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Decisions, decisions, decisions. SO hard to make!!! You'll make the right ones for you at the time. That's what we all do!!!! LOVE the kings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah well the beautiful thing about laundry is you have a little time (if your just doing laundry) to tat...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the arrangement of the three kings in the first photo but the background colour of the 3rd photo (night scene colour). Autumn leaves are falling . . . .It reminds me of gingko leaves all yellow on the the tree and on the floor. Ahh, what bliss. I wish we had four seasons here instead of humid hot weather and rain.

    ReplyDelete

Emails and comments both are welcome and always read.