Sunday, May 27, 2007



Need Help!

I recently rediscovered these motifs that a coworker had given me to find a way to put together....oh...2 years ago! So now I'm determined to finish the project before I lose them again! These were in her mother's things but she knows her mother never tatted so she thinks they were from an aunt who is also deceased.

It's a common wheel motif, a ring with 12 picots which have 12 small rings tatted alternated with 12 larger rings. There are 8 of them. I've been trying to figure out how to turn them into squares. I'll use either ecru or white thread so that the original tatting will stand out and I can join the squares as I go, creating a small rectangular doily or mat. I considered sewing them on to a fabric center but I have a feeling I'll have to tat another wheel or two to get it to come out right and that could be tricky. I'm having a hard time finding an exact match for the thread.

I'm currently working on a squarish motif from one of Konior's books that has a center opening that I thought might be big enough. I just started the 2nd repeat and it's not, but I'm going to go ahead and finish it and then xerox it and and see if I can't increase the stitch count around and make it fit.

In the meantime, if anyone has an idea on how to proceed, feel free to contact me!

2 comments:

  1. I think that the easiest way to turn them into squares would be to tat a small white/ecru square to join four of the wheels together. Or you could do a simple ring and chain edging to outline each wheel to make it into a square and join them that way. Anyhow, that's just a couple of ideas from me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! The ring and chain edging is a popular fix and little joining squares has been mentioned too. I've been getting lots of great ideas!
    :-) Gina

    ReplyDelete

Emails and comments both are welcome and always read.