Thursday, June 04, 2009


I had to make a new tube for the pincushion/sachet. The directions said to make a chain 1" longer than the cushion and then there was a pattern stitch for the first row and you cut off the rest. In hindsite, I see that this was not long enough. It didn't allow for the space the curve at the end of the pillow takes up, I probably should have made the initial chain the length of the cushion from midpoint at the side, up and over to the midpoint of the next side and then added 1". It was far easier to make a new smaller cushion than to crochet a whole new piece! I added some essential oil to the fiberfill of this one and it now resides in my lingerie drawer.


Another set of earrings! These are in Purdue colors, black and old gold. I'm not sure using the split ring for the jump ring was a good idea. It's thicker and bigger than a regular jump ring. I'm thinking about the fair - otherwise I wouldn't care - but it might matter in a judging. I think I might use a bigger gold thread too. The black is size 20 and the gold is size 12 with a gold thread added, but it's still not quite as thick as the black.

I'm going to gather up all the stuff I have to put in the fair this weekend and see what I've got. I may have to research my own blog to see what I've done. I forget so easily. I forgot about the Irish crochet pincushion and the other rose pincushions I made. There's another lace category I can enter. You can enter anything made within the past three years that has not been entered before. I didn't take anything in last year at all so I can enter anything from that year too. Still..there are limits to how much you can enter in any one category, so we'll see. I have a whole month before I have to send in the registration form.

Today was a fun day. A friend and I went to a labyrinth in Tipton, Indiana at the Sisters of St. Joseph Retreat & Convention Center. I'd been there before, in 2003, but now wish I'd made it habit to go on a regular basis. Walking a labyrinth is very soothing and inspirational.

9 comments:

  1. Lovely Gina.... very classy. Nice effect with the larger jump ring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pin cushion/sachet! What a great idea for fresh smelling lingerie! The earrings are wonderful! Oh, how I long to make lace of some sort, but I must stay on track and finish the last paper for my class today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I LOVE those black and gold earrings. Are they jump rings or split rings (as in key rings)? I prefer the split ones as the darn things don't get through the wee hole where the two ends meet in a jump ring. Anyway, I think they look perfect 'as is'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane,it's a metal split ring like on a key chain. I like them better because they are more secure than the typical jump ring. I don't wear tatted earrings very often but one of the problems I've had in the past when I did was that the thread has a way of slipping through a regular jump ring and comes off. It's heartbreaking when someone has tatted you something special and you lose it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sachet is really cool...that never would have occured to me. Funny how differently all of our brains think. With all this talk of the fair, I better get busy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The earrings are gorgeous! If the judges know anything, they should be extremely impressed.
    With tatted earrings, what I do is either use a split ring (as in coiled key chain) or else a jump ring that has been soldered closed (there are some made that way) so as to make sure the tatting doesn't slip off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the yin and yang appearance of the earrings sort of in correlation with the labyrinth experience. If I were to make one special thing in my yard, it would be a labyrinth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those earrings are really super! Love the design and the colours are terrific. I've got to try making some earrings - sometime...... : ))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those earrings are just the colours I like, when not wearing bright colours I go for blacks/golds/browns, they are so so clever and so so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Emails and comments both are welcome and always read.