Saturday, May 17, 2008

Hiding Ends

Hiding ends is such a bug-a-boo for most people. For some reason I decided early on to hide my ends as I went. I think it was seeing some doilies in process in the round robins. Some had threads hanging out all over and it could be....seeing all those dangling threads turned me off to making doilies...but I really don't have much reason to make them anyway.

Most of my early tatting was from what few publications I could find locally - my collection of workbaskets mainly. Very few instructions mentioned split rings and split chains and even when they did, I didn't get around to learning them until I'd been tatting 3 or 4 years and was ..ahem..getting strung out on threads to hide.

The first time I met Jane Eborall in person was at Palmettos the first time I went. She mentioned hiding an end when starting a ring but I didn't see her do it. It was some time later that I saw the instructions on her website that I gave it a try. It's nice for a rings-only project although if I'm tatting a wheel, I usually want to tie the first and last threads together to look the same as the rest of the motif.

Anyway..Jane has started a new TIAS and one of the techniques is using a 2nd color thread for the split rings which start after a regular ring. I decided to practice a bit before I tackle the project and thought you all might benefit too.

At one point, I said I pinched the thread between my thumb and my pinky but it's actually my thumb and my index finger. I'm also experimenting with my camera. A 3 minute video easily consumes over 300 MG and uploading to YouTube, even with a fast connection, takes 1-5 minutes for each MG so it literally takes hours to upload just a few minutes worth of video. I discovered my camera has a "compact mode" so I tried that which substantially reduced the number of MG, but the quality is not quite as good. I tried zooming in, but it's kind of fuzzy, as you'll see. For some reason, they also looked yellowish. I played around with the camera a bit more this evening while these were uploading and used my OTT light. It's not anything I'll put here, but I'm hoping when I get to check it that it will look much better. In that case, I might end up doing these over, but for now....this is what I have to offer.

I have 3 videos. The first one is just about hiding the tail as you tat the first ring. The other 2 are 2 different ways of hiding the tail of the 2nd thread that is added for the 2nd half of the split ring. In one, it is hidden in the first half of the split ring and in the other one, it is hidden in the second half of the split ring.





19 comments:

  1. Out of curiosity, what CODEC (Compressor/Decompressor) does you camera use? A 3 minute video shouldn't be over 300 MB. Perhaps try recompressing the video with DIVX or something similar if youtube with accept them. Feel free to email me if you need help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the videos, Gina! I was playing around one day and figured out the first one all by myself... sometimes I am so proud of me ! : ) But, I haven't done a split ring yet, let alone a split ring in two colors, so I really appreciate your taking the time to make and share these videos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your videos! They are what I have been looking for. I will definately give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank Jeff. I did find that using the "compact" mode greatly reduced the MG. I can't tell a difference in quality on this camera so from now on, I'll use the compact mode. Last night after my battery recharged, I played with it some more, using my Ott light as additional lighting and it took away that yellowish cast I've been getting. My camera is a Canon Powershot SD1000. I didn't get it for shooting videos so this has turned out to be an added bonus but perhaps another camera would be better for that. If you have any other suggestions, they are most welcomed!
    :-) Gina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go Gina! in the 3rd video, if you hide the tail in the 2nd half of the split ring, you do not even have to weave the tails in the ds. Fantastic. I always check your blog but had not seen it until Jane told me to check it out! Just GREAT, GREAT, GREAT!!!
    Marie in SC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gina, these videos are very, very helpful to both newbies and oldies alike. Well done!
    Make I make a little suggestion? I use size 20 thread a great deal as I nead the bulk for my flowers. When you close your rings using this thread I find it easier to draw up the excess thread by using a circular action i.e. following the direction of the ring, instead of straight out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicely donw as usual!! Love your site!!

    Arlene

    ReplyDelete
  8. So nice of you to put those videos out there, Gina. You're great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gina
    I saw Jane do this at Palmetto's last year and I so appreciate you
    doing this video. Especially since I can't afford to go visit Jane and say Do it again please!
    Thank You
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh! GREAT job Gina! Don't you just LOVE technology???....it's the best thing that has ever happened to tatting!
    Thanks for you work in making these very nicely done videos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous7:59 AM

    Gina my dear!!

    I have to tell you that this video was a great idea. I loved hiding the ends, since just recently I learned to do that and needed a refresher.

    Sunela

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just what I've been looking for! Janes explanation is great but I do appreciate so much to see how it is done! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful video, Gina - a 'must learn' by every tatters, new and seasoned.

    I have been hiding my ends this way after failing dismally with the magic thread method (would love to have someone make a video of that, so I can see where I went wrong). And this is also one of the reasons why I like to use shuttles with picks in them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know, I never did comment on your videos. They are really good. I hide my ends in a similar fashion as you do. I haven't tried Jane's Method ( or a variation of) yet.

    Your camera seems similar to one my Dad just got (that I haven't had a chance to play with yet), and it has a "Compact Mode" as well. But I'm not sure what the differences between compact and regular mode are. How big are the videos done in Compact Mode?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Gina! I'm a little behind in visiting and commenting on blogs. These videos are very helpful. I have always found hiding ends while tatting very "fiddly" and usually end up hiding them with a needle, but I can do this! I appreciate all of your time and trouble. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey, Ginabean! Groovy videos! It's not only so nice to see your hands doing what we all love bestest, but to hear your voice is just like having a little visit! Bravo!

    One question.....were you wearing your camera on top of your head to make these videos? You know, like on a miner's hat?

    Hey-we have to compare bobbin-lace notes someday. Sue looked at it and said, "We simply have to do something about all these little spiders on the back!"

    I posted a pic you'll appreciate. Heh.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous5:34 AM

    wwwwwwhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
    (and this is a french whao!)
    Why, thank you so much so much so much... Finishing is never nice in my works...
    Though I had already a god, I will now have my tatting goddess!
    Love and thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous1:09 PM

    The yellowish light is what you get from regular incandescent light bulbs (which "burn" hotter than fluorescent bulbs). This is why indoor shots without a flash are often yellowish. Although it doesn't "look" that yellow to the eye/brain, that's what the camera picks up. This is why studio photographers & films use special lighting - so things look "natural".

    ReplyDelete
  19. cOOL, cOOL, cOOL!!! In the first video, that is exactly how I hide my ends when starting and adding. I didn't know about the part of slipping through a previous ring though to add thread. Great idea, will have to try that.

    I usually though when working in my ends, I try to do the whole ring or the whole chain instead of the 3-4 sts because I am afraid it may come undone (though it may not), and I end up with the whole ring/chain the same thickness.

    GREAT demonstrations Gina!!! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete

Emails and comments both are welcome and always read.