Monday, May 26, 2008


Oddly enough, this looks better in the scan than in real life. It's usually the other way around. I abandoned this one today. It's from Traditional Tatting Patterns edited by Rita Weiss. I didn't quite get the instructions for the flower where it said to leave 1/8" of thread when starting the flower and then to catch the thread to hold it to the chain so I skipped that part. Then I didn't like the way the chain thread shows under the center of the flower even though it says to bring the thread across...I just think it looks tacky. It needs a center of some kind. And I also made a mistake where the ring joins the center between the two flowers. There is supposed to be two rings there.
I do like this design, called Filigree Scroll, and will probably try it again when I can think about it with less frustration. The only real problem is the blossoms and now, many hours later, I have a solution in mind. Another problem with them is that the petals bunched up. They look nice and flat in the scan and would probably block out nicely but they seemed too crowded while I was tatting.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Memorial Day Weekend.

10 comments:

  1. I love vintage patterns. It'll look lovely once you finish battling it out...LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are much too critical of your own work. I really love it and it caught my breath when I first saw it. The colors are beautiful together. Give it another go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is absolutly gorgeous - what a undertaking! Impressive

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm currently working on something similar so it will have to wait. But thank you all!
    :-) Gina

    ReplyDelete
  5. What you have done looks good Gina. I have made this design a few times, and I made several mistakes on them too. I'd be happy to post it to my blog if you want to see it. I love the blue that you used. What kind of thread is it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to pester you with newbie questions, but what size thread did you use? I'm trying to figure out how some patterns end up looking limp, and some look nice and sturdy like this one. It seems to me that some size arcs just can't be supported by thread that is too fine - in other words, that patterns just aren't bigger or smaller according to thread size used, but actually go limp and wobbly if too fine a thread is used. (sigh) just trying to learn ...

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeff - yes, I'd love to see what you have. This is Omega thread, size 30 and has #1307 handwritten inside. I guess that is the color. It doesn't have as tight of a twist as I would like for tatting but there are some gorgeous colors.

    Andrea - It's size 30 Omega. I think this one isn't quite as crisp as some but not as soft as others. It doesn't say but I think it is 3 cord. 6 cord threads have the tightest twist and give you that nice crisp finish and the size 70/80 tatting threads should do that. If you tat loosely, even crisp threads will flop over.

    :-) gina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Gina,

    I posted my version on Filigree Scrolls on my blog. It's not as nice as your version. I will have to remake it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't dispair, Gina, you know it sometimes takes more than one go to get the exact result we are looking for. Every bit of tatting we do leads us to the next that will definietly be a little better! I think the chain showing through the flower is very effective!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Gina,

    If you would like a larger photo of my rendition of Filigree Scroll, just ask. I'd be happy to send you a copy.

    ReplyDelete

Emails and comments both are welcome and always read.