Thursday, October 30, 2008


I have to tell you that I am NOT a Halloween person. Never have been. But I'm not much for costumes unless it's the Renaissance period and then only if a fair is involved. Even so, all of my family loves Halloween and some even have quite elaborate settings or parties. This is Layla, the puppy of my son and new daughter-in-law, dressed up in a ladybug costume, enticed into hugging the pumpkin with the help of peanut butter. LOL! You might also note the big "P" on the pumpkin - only Purdue grads mark everything with their alma mater.

In case you think I haven't been tatting, I have. Most will have to wait for another time to show but this is the beaded choker by Judith Connors in Contemporary Tatting. As a choker, this is probably the longest in history but I'm using it for something else. Can't show just now. Judith is an Australian tatter that I had the pleasure of meeting a few years ago when I visited Brisbane. She is also the author of An Illustrated Dictionary of Tatting, which I highly recommend. It cross-references different terms as well as explains what they are, what the technique or stitch is. She updated the original a few years ago, but either one is a welcome addition to the tatter's library. In case you happen to be making out your Christmas list.....

4 comments:

  1. O.k. That puppy picture is one of the best I've ever seen! Hilarious!

    The choker(??) is lovely too....I wonder what it will be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I share the feelings on Halloween and costumes (and even the exception). Poor pooch; a ladybug ~ but quite clever pose.
    the beaded choker is lovely. I like the color choices. I, too, enjoy Judith Conner's book(s). How fortunate to have been able to meet her.
    Thank you for sharing ~ I was feeling "odd person out" not getting in the Haloween swim.
    Happy Tatting,
    Ridgetatter (new mexico)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can count me in as being not a Halloween person. I outgrew it years before the rest of my peers. I can't wait for it to be over. The puppy picture is cute though.

    Your choker-being-used-for-something-else looks great. I made this pattern for my mom, last year, I think. I used black thread and multicoloured beads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pic is too cute of the sweet doggy and the P for Peanut butter and Pumpkin! So cute!
    The insertion you've tatted up is lovely so far. I like the mix of colors and beads.

    ReplyDelete

Emails and comments both are welcome and always read.