Saturday, March 21, 2009

Lace Day Reminder

sigh...here it is, nearly 2:00 p.m. and I have nothing to show for my time. I did do something...I was sewing one of the business card holders for Lace Day. I tweaked it. I was so excited - it looked like it was turning out perfectly! But in turning it inside out...well, lets just say that while I did get it turned inside out, I was disappointed, so disappointed. The velcro did not match up. I don't know why. I thought they were in the exact same place. I even moved one TWICE to get it placed right. Somehow they ended up a different distance from the side instead. I left the opening to turn in a different place. Bad move. Everything else lined up, which was what I was tweaking in the first place, but ...it's just not right. It was supposed to match a pouch. I wasn't that fond of the fabric to begin with and just can't face the prospect of doing it over right now. I had trouble matching the lining to the main color and then I had to go get thread. I got a little too hot with the iron in one spot of the interfacing. I think it's just not meant to be.

I may be able to fix it, now that I've given up. LOL! Something came to me, but I'll wait til I'm fresher in mood before I tackle it. I have to make more than one. Maybe I'll just go clean something instead. I do have some tatting done but it's for Marie so I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise, now would I?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~




Later, after a nap that I didn't think I needed but obviously did since I was out shortly after laying down, I decided to tackle a different project. I found this Spring Basket earlier in the week at http://mayamade.blogspot.com/. I loved the simplicity of it and I already had everything I needed to make it. So I did. Well, even for something as simple as this, I had to change something. The instructions call for stitching the bottom corners 3 1/2" in from each side to miter them but that made it very small so I only brought it in about half of that. I think it probably made it more oval than the original but that's okay. I pinked the edge that folded over - not nearly as straight as I thought but, that's okay too, because this is just my test one.....I keep muttering to myself...LOL! I'm not making the handle for this one either. It will go on the entry table at Lace Day and hold lace buttons for the first 50 attendees.


I had a hard time getting a clear image of the whole basket but got a macro of the lace edging (still in progress). The rings are layered picots purposely made out of big thread and now I'm adding beads along the top. I'll probably make a few more of these for the display table and the drawing. At least then I will have something to contribute and if my previous sewing project does not turn out, I won't feel so bad.



Here's a sampling of the buttons that will be available. They come from Emblazon Yourself! and I've been very happy with them. This is the second time I've interacted with them and I recommend them for buttons or magnets, whether to promote something or just for fun.

Remember, if you're near Lafayette, Indiana anytime next Saturday, March 28th, you might want to drop in and see us!

Lafayette Lace Day
March 28, 2009
9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Free Admission
Christ United Methodist Church
3610 S. 18th Street
Lafayette, IN 47909

The Lafayette Lacers invite you to a Lace Day on March 28, 2009, 9:00 AM-4:00 PM at Christ United Methodist Church, 3610 S. 18th Street, Lafayette, Indiana. There will be vendors, two mini classes and two drawings. There will be an exhibit of “Things to Put Things In”.

Vendors include John Aebi, Kaye Judt, Kathy Kirchner, Tracy Jackson of The Lacemaker and Debbie Beever of Lace and Such.

Schedule of events:
Doors open at 9:00 AM (vending throughout the day) There are numerous restaurants and fast food places in the area for lunch or you may bring your own.

Classes from 1:30 to 3:30 PM:
Beginning Bobbin Lace (limit 8 students)
Paper Boxes (limit 10 students)
Sign up in advance or in the Social Cafe when you arrive for Lace Day.

Drawings at 1:15 PM and 3:30 PM.

A 3-4 hour workshop will be held on Sunday, March 29, 2009, 9-1 with Tracy Jackson at the Tippecanoe Arts Federation Center. Participants will learn Viking Knit (which uses wire). Up to twenty individuals may signup for this workshop. Pre-registration is recommended. Cost is $30 and includes a kit fee.

For more information, directions and reservations contact Bette Carson at
bcarson33@comcast.net or 765-494-3959 (day), 765-463-1122 (eve).

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited for Lace Day! My friend Denise, my sister-in-law Karen, and I will be there. I'm sure I'll have as much fun as I did last time!

    ReplyDelete

Emails and comments both are welcome and always read.