Sunday, October 04, 2009

If you've been to a Tat Day, you know what the vendor tables look like - books, thread, beads, shuttles, tatting tools.....there's plenty to drool over! So I didn't take photos of that; I took photos of the some out-of-the-ordinary offerings. These hand-carved shuttles and woodworked pieces are by Murray Lincoln. For some reason, I can't find my program which lists his website in his contact information. Oh wait, I found it!

Note the tatting inserted in some of the open spaces. I love the celtic love spoons.

Here we have all kinds of beads from Brenda Franklin. Kits and beads and kits and beads.....so much to pick from!

This is the raffle table. It was ongoing and items were added periodically so you had to keep buying tickets just when you thought you were done. LOL! Very clever strategy.

These items were up for auction. Rita Cochrane acted as auctioneer, climbing up on a chair to be seen by everyone. The safety geek in me cringed but I remained silent. Rita's description of each item and enticement to bid was hilarious. The auction and raffle table raised a lot of money for next year's event.

I said yesterday you would get to see some of Ginny's exquisite tatting today. See that beautiful sunflower doily? The ornaments in the center are Ginny's too. There is some other tatting around it but I'm not sure you can see it well, even when you click on it to get the bigger picture.

Last year participants were given a metal napkin holder with the instuctions to decorate to the best of their ability in tatting. I think one is missing from this photo - cut off by the frame, but they were certainly creative!

The one in the very front was the winner by popular vote. It was so pretty and dainty looking. A good choice! Next year's challenge is a little heart box to decorate.

I don't think I've ever won anything at these raffles, not even at the ones my own lace guild hosts so I was pleased as punch to win this red cake stand! I love blue glass and red glass and well...just about any colored glass, but I have very little red glass in my possession.

Here's how it looks from the top. I can use it at Christmas and Valentine's Day especially but any time is a good time. I might have to bake a cake before the day is over!

Not only did I win the cake dish, I won these beautiful lemon-scented bark roses. They are currently in my bathroom.

I show this box only because they are the most delicious cookies! I've almost eaten all of them now. They are a cranberry, citrus and oat crunch blend. It's made by Kraft so I'll have to see if the equivalent is made in the States.

Next post I'll show the thread and shuttle I bought as well as an unexpected gift. Stay tuned!

14 comments:

  1. I don't even tat and those pictures got me excited! What fun! Yes, Diane attended the first CQ class in the new studio. She was a lot of fun. I wanted to move them all in!
    Smiles,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, I feel as if I was there with you. Thanks. I'm 'staying tuned' for the next instalment - can't wait to see the unexpected gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the fabulous photos! That really was neat! Those handcarved shuttles are so cute and those spoons are amazing! Like Jane say, the photos made me feel like I was right there with you! ☺

    There's nothing geeky about being a "safety gal"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a dangerous event to attend - so many goodies! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow. I wish I could attend these events - maybe some day...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even a failed to learn tatting person would be tempted by all those goodies.
    Love the plate.
    Hope the cake is yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another "can't look away(even if I wanted to)" post! I'm chompin' at the bit for more. Maybe it's the cookies? Or the idea of yummy cake?

    Nah, it's the pics of tatting goodies and the great narrative! Thanks for your generous posts. I TOO feel as if I had been there, a wee elf sitting on the brim of your stylish tat hat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I am sooo jealous! But if I had been there.. I probably would have spent WAY too much money!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how I wish I had taken my camera to Cambridge. That way I could have taken photos of you too. I'll make a note to bring it next year. I do hate to admit this but I held back and actually came home with some money!!! But there are no promises for that to happen in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was a wonderful post. thanks for showing us all those unusual things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love all the pictures you posted. Man, I wish I could have been there! It's neat that you won the plate, it looks wonderful, too. Make sure to post if you find the cookies. They sound like they would go well with tea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the fish shuttles in the first photo. I too would love to go to one of these events, but they are too far away for me right now. I too would probably spend too much money at these events! And congrats on your wins. Out of curiosity, why did you photograph the French side of the cookie box?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad everyone is enjoying the photos. It makes me enjoy the event yet again.

    Jeff, I have no idea why I did that. I knew I'd read English somewhere on the box but didn't actually see that it was French on one side & English on the other until you mentioned it. I see now that the nutrional info is the same way. French on one end and English on the other end. They're gone now. Ate the last one last night!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've only just got to this post - such a lot to see. Such a lot of lovely things to see. I'm also a fan of love spoons and have a little collection and also have lots of blue glass - wow what a coincidence!

    ReplyDelete

Emails and comments both are welcome and always read.