Friday, May 28, 2010

I've been thinking about where I'm going with this off and on. I don't feel compelled to DO SOMETHING, but sometimes I get a little nudge, a whisper in my ear, "why don't you try this?". Recently I posted a link to an Italian website showing stunning home decor and fashion emellished embellished with tatting. Several years ago, I had links to some Japanese tatting that showed tatting displayed in beautiful backgrounds and in more detail than what we tend to see in the States. From time to time, I've encouraged readers to go one step further, stir up the imagination and inspiration. I am absolutely thrilled to see tatting growing and know that it is far from being a lost art, and is, indeed, developing in leaps and bounds. Yet most of the tatting I see is still little motifs, bookmarks, and now - jewelry, which is still a small project overall. I think one reason people like tatting is because it is so portable but another reason is the instant gratification. You can tat a snowflake or a bookmark in an evening.

It's rare that tatters go bigger though. I'm not willing to tat curtains or tablecloths or bedspreads, but I would tat sections of curtains, tablecloths or bed accessories. In fact, it's been in my mind for years now to tat inserts for some kitchen curtains as well as the edging. My first attempt wasn't pleasing and I haven't revisited it. I'm pretty much covered up with other projects for the time being.

All that said, I came across an ad for a juried show in Canada that some of you might be interested in pursuing, especially if you live in Canada. It's called Stitches Across Time, and currently has some exhibits showing but the juried show is also meant to inspire you to create even more beautiful pieces. The deadline is February 28, 2011 so I hope at least a few of you consider designing and submitting something. Tatting can use all the exposure we can give it. Update - you must be a Canadian citizen to enter!

Last night I finished crocheting the cord that goes with the beaded bag I tatted from Sharon Brigg's book, Transitions in Tatting. I have the fabric to line it with so all I have to do now is sew the lining, attach the cord, and a fastener for the flap. The lining will probably take the longest since I have to create the pattern and figure out if I want to include the flap or not. I hope to put this in our exhibit next fall at the Tippecanoe Arts Federation along with several other lace items. Too bad the beads don't show up all that well but perhaps once the lining is in, they'll pop out.

I finished the cord early enough last night to start some tatting, Sue Fuller's Heart's Desire in one of my dyed threads, the one I have so much of! I barely started before knocking off to bed so it will be awhile before I show it.

I will probably post again before the weekend is over. I'm so happy to have a 3 day weekend!

10 comments:

  1. Wow, the bag is incredible! I cannot wait to see it with the lining in it, I bet the beads will stick out then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a good point about small items and large tatted pieces.I love the look of lace curtains but can not see myself tatting them. I am hoping to work on a few larger items but they are mostly for xmas gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bag is absolutely stunning!!!! I can't wait to see it finished!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a beautiful bag you've got there..^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bag is beautiful! I'm sure the lining will only make it more so. Please be sure to show it to us when it is completed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is so lovely! I am always in awe of you ''tatters'', an amazing skill.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First off: I am in love with that bag! It literally made me just stop and stare at it for a few moments before I actually read the post!

    I've noticed a lot of small projects too. I'm not sure that I'll ever be brave enough for anything large, though. LOL. I realized a few days ago that I'm afraid of attempting anything bigger than a flower because I'm afraid I'll get near the end and mess up the whole thing. :-/ Practice makes perfect, though, right? I'm practicing as much as I can! :-D I'm even getting better (I think)! LOL.

    Someday, I will master tatting and will tat something large... Perhaps a tablecloth for the end table that I hate looking at? Then, maybe a lovely, delicate-looking "summer sweater" to go over a tank top... Wow.. I'm getting too far ahead of myself. :-D

    -Stephanie Grace
    http://stephaniegracetats.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. For a long time, I only tatted butterflies, hearts and edgings with the ocassional bookmark. They were mostly for exchanges which forced me to try my best and look for challenges. I've crocheted and knitted big things, even in thread, but tatting is a much more labor intensive committment when it comes to the big stuff. Or so it seems. Maybe it's just a mental hurdle. Once you break it down into steps and make smaller goals, they come together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm trying to come up with patterns for bookmarks of all sorts and mediums. Being a member of a writing website and an avid reader, I'm hoping that if I can make a few good ones, maybe a few people on the website will buy a few for a cheap price and I have have at least a few dollars to buy more thread (and replace my favorite tatting needle which has become curved and bent from use and abuse. LOL).

    I agree with Gina, though, about tatting seeming like so much more...work for big projects. With crochet and all, things can be very pretty when plain. With tatting, it's the curves and rings and picots that really make it beautiful to look at which means more work to create a larger piece --I think. :-/ (I'm still new to all of this, so I could be wrong. LOL).

    -Stephanie Grace
    http://stephaniegracetats.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. that is coming along goegeously!

    ReplyDelete

Emails and comments both are welcome and always read.