Sunday, March 06, 2011

Plate 1, Figure 3 continued

I got two of the inserts in bags today. The other two are somewhat different and will have to wait for another day. I struggled with these as it was.

This is just a reminder of the original insert.


This almost looks like leather in the scan but it's actually a synthetic slick two sided fabric that was kind of a pain to work with. I tried machine stitching the insert in and that didn't work at all. I didn't have much control, even with pin basting, and it got all wonky on me so I ripped it out. Thinking that might be the case, I had used the machine's basting stitch so it wasn't all that bad to rip out. So then I hand stitched it to the fabric.

The sides puzzled me. I had the bag too wide so had to find a way to make up for the shorter width of the insert. I sewed a strip down each side but even that was tricky. I couldn't sew over the lace for fear of catching a thread from the insert so I waited until I put the white fabric background behind the insert and then stitched around it all covering the ends of the insert.

For this one, I cut open the space for the insert and handstitched around the edges, trimming the fabric when I was done. I actually stitched a border of French Knots around the edge in the same thread the insert was tatted but it looked really REALLY amatuerish so I took them out. The knots looked good on their own but I couldn't get the spacing right and the color just threw everything off.

Here's a close-up. I haven't attached a fastener on either of these. I think I will make a buttonhole and add a pretty button to the top one. This one has a casing for a cord or ribbon though I stitched the seam wrong for that to work. I should have stitched the seam before I stitched the casing but I'll make it work. It will just be more time and trouble. I'm also thinking about tatting a simple edging for the top.

So...two more to go! And this is why I don't want too much length. I get too wrapped up in variations and then it takes me forever to use them the way I want to. Inserts typically go on table mats or linens, perhaps clothing if you're inclined towards that. I am, but I don't have the time or focus to do it right now. This is only the second time I've tried to stitch a tatted motif as an insert. I'd forgotten how frustrated I was the last time! I'm sure the more you practice, the better you get.

I'm really anxious to do the next two. I think one will be a pincushion....maybe both. I think you'll like them even better. I really need to open an Etsy shop!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Gina! Very pretty! The beads are a nice touch. They accentuate the fabric nicely. and yes, you really should open an Etsy shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the edging is pretty, gina. definitely more eye candy is welcomed. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of using pieces of tatting as inserts!! I just received a large amount of fabric from a customer who is an interior designer. She was getting rid of all the discontinued fabrics and I grabbed them up. So many ideas so little time!!!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. The inserts are lovely, Gina! I haven't tried doing any, myself, but they are effective. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I added an edging to the white bag last night and am working on the cording. The edging really perked up the bag.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a neat way to use inserts. The bags look really nice with them. I've thougth to make inserts to extend the length of the sleeves on a favorite shirt but never did it. I think the hand stitching part put me off:-)The idea of doing an insert but only enough for a small bag may get me to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a wonderful way to use those strips. I don't suppose you could what it looks like inside out? I'm interested in how you did the insert part.

    ReplyDelete

Emails and comments both are welcome and always read.