Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Something New!

Hyperbolic Tatting!

I've been wanting to try this for a long time. I'm not really sure I'm doing it right although I was attempting to follow Patty Dowden's instructions. I saw the hyperbolic crochet coral reef too when a friend sent me the link several years ago so when I saw that Patty had been able to transfer the technique to tatting, I was intrigued. This is probably as far as I'll get for awhile though.

My plate is pretty full right now and I tatted this to go along with several other blossoms on my nametag.

I've been meaning to embellish this for a long time. The only wording is at the top and that's where all my tatted and crocheted pretties will go. The backside has a pocket just the right size for my business cards plus 2 pens or something pen-size. Under the flap is a zippered pouch and there is the same amount of room behind the zippered pouch for more goodies. Keys, money, credit card. I hope to get a lot of use out of this but I have a red one that is similar so I can do another color scheme on that one, in case I get bored. Girls like variety, you know. It has a nice heavy duty black lanyard that it's hanging from.

I think I will probably bring my dyed motifs and rock cozies for some additional show and tell on Saturday. So much to do between now and then!

8 comments:

  1. Gina,
    You always show so interesting things! This hyperbolic tatting and crocheting is amazing. These sort of ideas absolutely start up my brain.
    Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The crochet versions were fascinating enough...but this is just really really incredible...and potentially very beautiful. I have to try this...and probably in a very small thread. I'm thinking it would be fun to make a tatted hyperbolic "flower" to wear as a decorative hair clip/brooch/decorative item on a purse/ or whatever suites ones fancy :-) The interesting thing would be just knowing that it was more than just another "flower" clip...and getting the oportunity to explain that occasionally...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a class offered with Georgia's online tatting classes which always focus on techniques, old and new. You can join at any time. There are over 10 years worth of studies there at the moment. http://georgiaseitz.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this was tatted in Lizbeth size 40.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember seeing the crocheted piece, but this is far more fascinating to me. I hope I get to see it on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember reading the class but never tried to do any of the hyberolic tatting. Too many reminders of math class. Have a great time this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did a lot of this in my crochet days, even taught how to hook it.

    There was a fantastic article about it in Fiberarts Magazine a few years back.

    Often, I have wondered how 'hyperbolic' could apply to tatting. Thank you! You have taken the initiative, though I can't really see your sample too well.

    Seems the shape is not as pronounced as the crochet model, but it is very small so it is hard to tell.

    You are such an innovator!
    ♥ Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was not awae at all of this crochet technique, so the tatted version was certainly news to me! Thanks for the link, where Patty explains it great depth! This is the wonderful thing about the internet, and bloggers like yourself who alert us to the newest techniques!

    I'm also quite fascinated by your name tag. I've never seen anything like it. I'm assuming you wear it around your neck? It seems to be a mini-purse! May I ask how you acquired it?

    Have a great time this weekend! Sure wish I could be there!

    ReplyDelete

Emails and comments both are welcome and always read.