Saturday, April 16, 2011

Egg Inspiration!

I haven't done any egg decorating in ages. All the grandkids except the baby and great-grandson are teens. We've just kind of gotten out of the habit. I was in the grocery last night and found some neon-color food coloring, on sale. I still wasn't planning to dye Easter eggs but I bought it anyway. And then this morning, while surfing the blogs in my sidebars, I found this really really COOL way to decorate eggs. I haven't been this excited about egg-coloring since I don't know when!

Actually, the initial post was about Puffed French Toast from Sugar Bee Crafts, a scrumptious recipe that had my mouth watering. The recipe was originally from Our Best Bites, a food blog. I keep food blogs bookmarked in my favorites but there is NO ROOM to put them on this blog. This was a new one to me so I went to the home page and THAT'S where I first saw the instructions to blow eggs out for dying.

I've blown out eggs before - you know - poke a hole at both ends and BLOW with your mouth. She did no such potentially explode-in-your-face act. She was smart! She uses those baby bulb syringes to force the air in and the egg contents out. She also gives a few tips about breaking up the egg inside so it will come out easier. Where have I been that I didn't know about this before?

But there was more! She showed how to thread a ribbon through to hang with and suggested even adding beads. Oh! A woman after my own heart! She also gave a link within her blog about dying eggs with silk fabric. Hmmmmmm....gotta check that out!

Aren't these absolutely gorgeous? From silk ties! You can find the intructions HERE! I couldn't believe how easy it looks! I haven't tried it yet, but it's definitely on my to-do list.

Now...I don't have to explain what this has to do with tatting do I? Really? Only if you haven't tatted around an egg yet. I know...most of you tat around a plastic egg, or styrofoam satin egg, or a wooden egg....but wouldn't this be an even more stunning egg with tatting on it? Hanging from a little Easter Egg tree? I can see a bit of tatted lace at each end where the ribbon comes out. If you don't have the time or patience to tat a whole egg, what a nice little touch!

Oh, and one more fabulous thing about the Our Best Bite site. There is an option to print the recipe. When you click on that, it pops up out of the web page context for printing and also offers a pdf version to save. How cool is that? I want to know how to do that. I guess it's because it is actually a website and not a blog that it can be done but I so wish I had that capability on my blog. It also applied to the eggs shown here. I clicked on "print recipe" and it popped up as a pdf file so I just saved it and will print it when I actually have time to try it.

ps...just remembered I made these Marbled Eggs or Tea Eggs a few years ago. That's why I love my blog. A great memory booster!

pps....Stephanie Lynn from Under the Table and Dreaming has listed the links and photos of 50 Ways to Decorate Easter Eggs!

10 comments:

  1. What lovely eggs! Looking forward to seeing what you create!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These eggs are beautiful - I would love to do this! Thanks for the info & links :)

    I agree - the blogging thing is a great memory booster. And a great place to keep track of all the wonderful links and instructions out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly what you mean about blowing the inside of eggs out, such a pain. I plan to show the blown eggs I tatted around years ago very soon. That link is so interesting, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now you've done it! I was resisting my usual egg-decorating mania that always hits just before Easter, but now you've got me looking at all sorts of ideas!

    My mania started in the 1970s when I dabbled in pysanky eggs. Did several, but MUCH too labor intensive!
    (Believe it or not, back then they said to use raw eggs, leaving insides intact. The insides dry out over time, which they do. Just don't ever break one!!)
    Have you seen the pysanky egg wraps? 30 seconds, and done! Very cool! (Google 'pysanky egg wraps')

    Then I went to the direct-method of just painting designs on plastic or wood, and the hunt for fine- point pens, glitter pens, metallic pens. Never found exactly what I wanted. Remember the L'eggs nylons eggs? Great source of eggs (BIG!) but bad for environment! Loved the black ones, they brought out the paint colors.

    Later, of course - TATTING!!, including my 3-D eggs, and the endless search every year for unusual eggs to put tatted motifs on - spun, beaded, flocked, metallic, etc.

    I have a ton of decorated AND undecorated eggs around here! I guess the ultimate are the Faberge eggs!

    Thanks for the links and the fun post!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the love- what a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very inspiring! I've read several posts about using a syringe or eyedropper to remove the middle part of the egg, but I like the idea of using the sucker-thing better, I'll have to get one.

    Thanks for the great links! I've got to look into getting some silk ties....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wowwwwwwwwww!!!! Those eggs are so neat! I love men's neckties but my husband doesn't...guess I know where I have a ready supply of ties to work with then, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. good luck with the eggs Gina!! and don't forget to show us...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since our children have grown, I no longer dye eggs, but your lovely eggs have given me inspiration! blessings,Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, I would LOVE to learn how to tat. My grandma of course use to do it and I never learned. Where do you live so you could teach me? If you don't live in Utah do you know anyone who does? Thank you. Oh by the way how to get ahold of me is to go to Chellb923@hotmail.com. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Emails and comments both are welcome and always read.