Sunday, October 16, 2011

Winter Butterfly

I finally got the Winter Butterfly done after several aborted starts. I tried doing the body in white, size 30 and the wings in pale gray, size 30, along with a silver blending filament, but it simply looked like mismatched whites, so I took the body off (which I'd done twice already because I forgot the antennae and then added the upper wing wrong three times!) and made a new one in the pale gray. The silver shows up much better with the gray but you can't see it in the first scan.

It seems awfully washed out compared to the other flutters, but I wanted that sparkle of a fresh snow. I'm wondering now if I can find tiny glass beads to put in the center of the bodies, like Mill Hill used to make. I thought a snowflake would be good for the Winter one.

The second photo is from my camera. If I take a photo at just the right angle, you can see the sparkle of the silver thread but you may have to click on it to enlarge it.

Now I just have to figure out what kind of background to frame them against. There are a couple of framers in town who are skilled about framed archival quality lace as well as other items. I plan to take Wendy's hanky to the same place.

9 comments:

  1. The butterfly is beautiful, and I can see the glitter on the camera shot! What color will you use for the background when you frame it? A deep blue? ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!! The long picots really make it!
    j.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful butterfly, gorgeous with the silver.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  4. This turned out so beautifully! Your determination has paid off handsomely. The filament adds the perfect glint(s) to give it the fresh-fallen snow effect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks pretty with the silver.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This marvelous pattern always impresses me when I see it, and I can definitely see the sparkles here! The four butterflies are going to be SO spectacular in a frame!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your sparkly butterfly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can see the sparkle in the photo from the camera. It does look like the glitter you see on fresh snow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ... one of the prettiest snowflakes I have seen yet!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete

Emails and comments both are welcome and always read.