Thursday, June 11, 2009

It seems like almost every blog I go to (not necessarily tatting) has an Etsy shop. I've had a Cafepress shop for several years. I think there is $18 or $19 in it. My only profit. They don't transfer the money to you until it is $25 or more. I'd close it up except for that money. LOL! I guess I can spend it elsewhere, but that wasn't why I opened it to begin with. I didn't realize I could spend it until just lately, so I will do that anyway and then close it up. I really like the idea of not having any inventory to deal with.

I bought one of each product myself and was very happy with the quality. I'm still wearing the clothes and still using the trivets, cup, and bag. I think it was 5 or 6 years ago when I bought them. I mentioned them in my yahoo group once or twice because they were geared for that group - momentos, so to speak, of being a Tatting Goddess. I didn't market or anything. It wasn't meant to become my financial support.


The swirly gingerbread was just a whimsical use of the gingerbread boy pattern I designed. I guess I could buy one of those for myself, just to have it.

I have an interest in making jewelry too. Always have loved it, but didn't do much. At the moment, I have a lot of supplies collected and ideas and will play along that line when I have time. I sent a friend the black & white earrings I tatted recently. She love them and encouraged me to sell them on Etsy like another friend of ours does. The friend who sells doesn't tat but she makes some lovely earrings. I'm the proud owner of half a dozen pairs - exchanged for another service.

I really don't have any interest in selling on Etsy. There is nothing I can do better or more uniquely than anyone else at the moment. The kinds of things I would do wouldn't really be suitable for that format, in my mind. But maybe I haven't thought creatively enough. I just don't want to invest my energy there. If I ever make something marketable, I'll let someone else do that part, the marketing, and in that case, it better be good enough to make me and the other person enough money to make it worthwhile. LOL!

Back at work this week and I miss having time to do things. It's often 8:00 p.m. or later when I get home. Monday I was home earlier and very tired but I made myself pick up the remainder of the printouts I had and put them in binders. I still have about 3 piles in a box and no binders. I could easily purge many things in the binders now, but don't feel I have the time to really give it thought just now. I'll continute to purge and declutter as I have time.

Last night I sat down after 10:00 p.m. and started 3 of the Paws in My Heart pattern. I have 3 paws done now...will do the heart part later. They're all going to friends.

I have more I could post about but it will have to wait until tomorrow. I've had 2 people tell me I looked tired this evening, and I am, so I'm going to get to bed at least on time.

My car lease is up at the end of the month so I checked out my options in regards to that tonight. Tomorrow I pick up my new car...in the color I really wanted! I just might be willing to keep this one for a decade or so.

Lots of other goodies in the mail this week but they will have to wait until the next post.

And HEY! If you're going to the L.A.C.E. Lace Day in Downers Grove on Saturday, I'll be there! My sister too! I already know Marilee (Yarnplayer) and Steph (Steph Tats) will also be there. FUN!

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this post. I have also played around with selling things - even to movie sets. Check out the afghan in the movie remake of the documentary Grey Gardens. Drew Barrymore spends some time sitting on the bed covered with the throw I crocheted photography.....sold some, but nothing better than a lot of other folks could also do.

    My trusty, little, rusty auto is now over 14 years old! I hope you have as much luck as I have with your new wheels!

    Love the paws!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember looking at your merchandise before. It's pretty cool! I like the "tatting Goddess" idea. It's fun.

    ReplyDelete

Emails and comments both are welcome and always read.