This is the 2nd of 8 edgings.
Here's a close-up of the tatted part. There is a stitch count version at the end of this post. This is rings only and very simple. The hardest part is keeping the bare thread space consistent. I eyeballed it and you can tell, if this was a bigger picture, that I was off here and there. You could easily attach it to fabric just as it is but the instructions included a crocheted heading.
I used size 20 for the tatting and size 40 DMC for the crocheted part. I know I didn't use the crocheted header in the last figure but this one was a little different and I wanted to try it. I joined the thread at the base of the small ring and then single crocheted 3 times on the bare thread. The directions then said to chain 7 stitches and then single crochet 3 times on the bare thread before the small ring. Chain 7 was too long so I reduced it to 5. I realized later that the number of chain stitches should be the same as the single crochet involved in the small ring. There are 3 sc before the small ring and then 1 in the base of the small ring with 3 following, so that is 7 sc. By going down to ch 5, I probably should have only done 2 sc before the small ring, 1 in the base, and 2 after for a total of 5 sc. Still, it seems to look okay.
The second row of crochet is simply ch 4 to turn, *skip one stitch, double crochet in the next stitch, ch 1, and continue from * to the end.
This is a second piece I tatted to make an edging for a bag. I didn't want to use the original sample as they are all going into a binder along with my notes. I joined it all together which was great for finishing but tricky to block. I blocked it on the corner of my blocking board (Styrofoam covered with parchment paper). The tatting didn't need blocking but the crocheted part did. I might have had more luck steam pressing it but I was going somewhere and decided to just pin it.
Remember the embroidered piece I did a few weeks ago? I decided to make it into a little bag. The tatting is the perfect touch.
Here it is flat. Since making a bag was an afterthought instead of part of the original plan, I didn't place my ribbon opening well.
I buttonholed an opening in the seam which is in the back. I really think it should have been in the front. Next time....
For this one, I just draw up the ribbon and wrap it around to the front. I did think to miter the bottom corners so that it has a flat bottom allowing it to stand if desired!
Here's the stitch count. I didn't measure the bare space but it would depend on what size thread you're using. I think I read once that you need a bare thread from one ring to the start of another to equal half the ring size more past the picot on the right side. Obviously if you are tatting in size 80 that distance is going to be much shorter than in size 20. Click on the photo and it will be bigger so you can see the numbers better.
Of course I had to try it in color and with beads! I have an idea for this so it may show up in a future post.
I've figured out that I can't comment on some blogs from work, but I can from home. I have no idea why because I CAN comment on some blogs from either location. So hopefully I will remember to go back to the blogs I've tried to comment on and couldn't when I get home this evening.