Thursday, January 08, 2004



If you are looking for an inexpensive but elegant looking Valentine, Walmart has these bone china hearts back in the craft section for $1.99 each. I tatted the heart for it which is the one I mentioned in yesterday's entry, Betsy Evan's heart, that fits perfectly when made in size 12 thread. I also have some made up in size 20 thread that also fit very nicely in the blank space. The smaller heart in the scan is one I tatted from the Japanese book Pretty Tatting Lace Articles published by DMC. Unfortunately, I can't read the characters and understand who the author's name is. The instructions are in Japanese characters but the diagrams are quite good and I've not had a problem following them so far. The starting point is shown as well as the initial direction of any ring that goes in a different path. After I made it, I decided it was too small for the white space and looked a bit forlorn. The other heart is one I had in my boo-boo stash, in size 8 perle cotton. With that size thread, it must be one I tatted very early in my tatting life.

I used a tube of scrapbooking glue to attach the heart. I didn't want anything too permanent, in case I change my mind. I'm going to take it with me to my Lace Guild meeting on Saturday. The bobbin lacers have their own heart patterns that would fit on there. In fact, I saw one on Christmas, made by someone that I'm sure would be perfect. The heart came with the red ribbon but you can easily take it off and put anything else you wish in there, including a tatted cord or tiny split ring edging. You could get even more elaborate and tat a simple ring and chain edging to go around the outside edge. It's 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" at the widest points each way.

Only 2 rows done on the filet snowman today. Maybe tomorrow will be more productive.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Emails and comments both are welcome and always read.