Tuesday, August 31, 2010

160 Titles!

160 Titles of Tatting books in Handy Hands catalog.

I know.

I counted them. That doesn't even include all of the titles that exist.

I ordered a ball of DMC cordonnet in size 20 and they squeezed a catalog in the box. Ironically, they included a free ball of Lizbeth white in size 20. I say ironically because I was specifically looking for DMC cordonnet in size 20 because the Lizbeth was not tatting up the way I wanted for a project. I even explained why I wanted the DMC as opposed to the Lizbeth.

There once was a lady who compared threads at microscopic levels and posted the results on her website. You could see the difference in quality and also in ply and twist. I don't think it even exists anymore. She wasn't a tatter but she worked with thread. The last I knew, she couldn't keep up with the requests to examine new brands of thread.

I've been remiss about Tatting Tea Tuesday so much lately. I've been overwhelmed and underwhelmed, depressed and excited - way too much confusion at times to focus much on tea, though I've consumed gallons of it and tatted at the same time! This edging is one I'm tatting for the dye bath. It's a Van Dyke edging out of Tatting Miscellany by Lindsay Rogers. It's tatted in size 40 DMC cordonnet and I can't believe how wide it is for that size thread. I'm pretty sure it's two inches wide! Very feminine. I don't have a clue what I'll use it for. If I could tat enough before the Big Dye Day, I'd like to put it on pillowslips but it's very doubtfull I can do that.

Well, if you haven't made it to a Tat Day so far this year, Nina Libin is teaching at the Circle City Lacers retreat in November. Here are some details from their flyer:

The Circle City Lacers are holding a retreat at The Inn at Turkey Run State Park this year on November 6, 7 and 8. This year's retreat will be featuring Nina Libin, well-known for her book, Tatted Lace of Beads, the techniques of Beanile Lace. Nina has always been fascinated by beadwork and lace of all kinds and helped revive frivolité, a type of Russian needlework. She teaches tatting and Beanile lace in New York and across the country.

Please sign up early so we can be certain to hold this event. Fees should be paid by September 10.

3 comments:

  1. I love the edging! It would be beautiful on a blouse collar or on a sachet bag, I think, as well as the pillow cases you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This edging has an interesting shape. I'm sure it's going to be lovely.

    I have two of Nina Libin's books. It was probably the first tatting books I ordered because I was fascinated with adding beads to my tatting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a very pretty edging! :)

    ReplyDelete

Emails and comments both are welcome and always read.