I think I might have mentioned in earlier posts that I was going to try to tat Martha's Pumpkin Teapot as a bookmark before the Dye Day. Once I made the center rib, I knew it would be too big for a bookmark, for my bookmark tastes anyway. So I just tatted the teapot. I started it Friday night in ecru Coates size 30 thread. I tatted til midnight or so and thought I was close to done so put it away to finish in the morning. Saturday morning, I started tatting again once I got the usual first-thing-in-the-morning duties done. I was to meet Sally at 1:00 p.m. I finished tatting and hid my ends, putting it on the scanner at 12:10 p.m. Whew!
So I quickly showered and gathered up my stuff and made it to Sally's by 1:15 p.m. We played for around four hours before I left for home. About 3/4ths of the way home, I realized I hadn't dyed the pumpkin teapot! In fact, I didn't even remember seeing it and I thought I took everything out of all the bags I had. Ooops!
First thing I checked when I got home was the scanner. Sure enough, there it lay. In my hurry to pack up and leave since I was running late, I forgot about it!
So Monday night, after work, I was at Sally's again, dying the last motif! She is keeping the dye through the weekend so it only required a little work to get it all out and ready again. The teapot turned out to be 4" wide 2 1/4" tall in size 30 thread. I suppose it could still be a bookmark but I think it would need a heftier tail than what I've been using. I could also try tatting it in size 80 thread. I was afraid the brown I was using would seep into the orange too much but it turned out nicely, I think. I accidently put green on the handle when I meant to use brown so I put brown over it but you can see a bit of green. For the lid part, I did use green but it looks brown for some reason. Maybe I put a touch of brown there. I painted some over the ribs too and then patted it with paper towel and went over the orange again with more orange. In the end, I think it just made the orange a darker orange overall.
I used diluted dye on both these pieces. The crocheted coaster was in a bag of vintage lace I bought at an antique store. I didn't really notice that some of the points were broken. It would make a nice piece for CQ as the other embellishments would cover up the points. The colors appeared more faded and vintage and I do like them.
I didn't have time to do much with the seahorses and I think I just dipped them in dye and slapped them in a baggie. LOL!
Right now I'm knitting a scarf for my great grandson and crocheting a pansy from a vintage publication. I needed a little break from tatting. For my next dye adventure, I'm going to only tat one motif but several of it. Then I'll paint each one with 3 strength values and separate them into warms and cools too. I had added 5 new colors and Sally wants to get a few more for next time. Pretty soon we're going to be fine-tuning.
Another busy week ahead.
Shop Tour: Heritage Mercantile Co.
48 minutes ago